Ashwin Gumaste achieved recognition in the field of computer network telecommunication. Ashwin Gumaste is currently the chair professor at the Department of Computer Science and Engineering of the Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay. He is known for his outstanding work on Carrier Ethernet Switch routers, which is the largest technology transfer between any IIT and industry. He has been with IIT Bombay since 2005.
Ashwin Gumaste IIT Bombay Chair Professor
|Work on Carrier Ethernet switch routers and SDN
|University of Texas, Dallas
|Fujitsu Network Communications IIT Bombay Cisco Systems Massachustts Institute of Technology
Must Read- 9 Richest IITians of All Times
Ashwin Gumaste is also an author, as he has published many books related to his field. Three of his published books are; DWDM Network Designs and Engineering Solutions, First Mile Access Networks, and Enabling Technologies and Broadband Services: Business Models and Technologies for Community Networks.
He has served as Program Chair, Co-chair, Publicity chair, and workshop chair for IEEE conferences and as a Program Committee member for IEEE ICC, Globecom, OFC, ICCCN, Gridnets, etc. Gumaste has also served as the James R. Isaac Chair Assistant Professor at IITB before holding the institute chair associate professorship of the institution. Ashwin Gumaste holds 25 US patents and over 30 pending patent applications. Furthermore, he has published 175 peer-reviewed research articles in journals and conference proceedings.
Ashwin is also a guest editor for IEEE Communications Magazine, and IEEE Network, and the founding Editor of the IEEE ComSoc ONTC’s newsletter Prism.
Ashwin Gumaste Awards and Recognition
- Ashwin Gumaste received many honorary awards for his outstanding achievements. Some of them are:
- In 2010, he received DAE-SRC Outstanding Research Investigator Award
- In 2010 He also received INAE Young Engineer Award
- In 2012, Gumaste received DOS Hari Om Prerit Vikram Sarabhai Award
- In the year 2013, Gumaste received India’s highest scientific award below the age of 40- the Swarnajayanti Fellowship of the Department of Science and Technology (DST).
- In 2013, he received one more award that is IBM Faculty Award
- Then three years later, in the year 2016, he received NASI- Reliance Industries Platinum Jubilee Award
- He also received one of the highest Indian science awards, the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize in the year 2018 by the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, the apex agency of the Government of India for scientific research.